Saturday, February 4, 2012

Quick Dinner Idea: Potato, Zucchini, Spinach Bake


My mom went on vacation last week and left me a bag of potatoes. I don't know why -- the potatoes would still be fine when she returned, but these days I just take whatever food she gives me. So I took the potatoes. So now what?

I opened my fridge. I had a couple of zucchinis, some mushrooms and baby spinach. It was time to get creative. And, I have to admit, what I came up with turned out so good that I had to share (and I plan to repeat with modifications suggested by all of you).

This "bake" almost seems like a "buckle" -- you know, the fruit-filled, casserole-like desserts that you just throw together when you've got too many blueberries or peaches. Except this one is savory and the potatoes really make it hearty. It's quick, easy and healthy! Cut it into squares for a party or use as a side dish.

Ingredients

3 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and sliced into rounds
2 zucchinis, sliced into rounds
2 cups baby spinach, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup shredded cheese (something that melts well and has good flavor)
2 cups white, unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
3 eggs
2 cups milk
3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil

Here's what you do:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine all of the vegetables in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt. Set aside.

Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl and the eggs, milk, cheese and oil in another. Combine the two bowls to make a batter. It should be thick, but runny (if it's too thick add a little more milk or water). Pour 1/3 of the batter into the bottom of a greased and floured rectangular Pyrex (lasagna-sized). Pour all of the vegetables on top of the bottom layer of batter, making sure the potatoes and zucchini are laying flat. Pour the rest of the batter on top of the vegetables, making sure the batter covers most of it. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

This is one of those completely modifiable dishes. Add your own blend of vegetables and seasonings and tell me how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment