Friday, April 16, 2010

Sides and Salads

My mom went on vacation last week and left me a bag of potatoes. I don't know why -- the potatoes would still be fine when she returned, but these days I just take whatever food she gives me. So I took the potatoes. So now what? I opened my fridge. I had a couple of zucchinis, some mushrooms and baby spinach. It was time to get creative. And, I have to admit, what I came up with turned out so good that I had to share. Click here to see the recipe.

Warm Brussel Sprouts and Potato Salad
Brussel sprouts are low in saturated fat and very low in cholesterol. They're also a good source dietary fiber, and vitamins A, C, K, and B6, as well as folate, potassium and manganese. And, to be honest, this salad just tastes GOOD. It is an amazing combination of flavors and textures. The key to cooking brussel sprouts (and making them taste good) is salt. Just be a little more generous than a light sprinkle. Click here for recipe.

Mangoes are an excellent source of Vitamin A, pre-biotic dietary fiber, beta-carotene, alpha carotene and potassium, which helps control heart rate and blood pressure. This recipe is so versatile! Pile on top of grilled meats, fish tacos or just make a big bowl and dig in with your favorite tortilla chips. And it doesn't have to be spicy -- the number of jalapenos you add is entirely up to you! Click here for recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment