Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Easy Entrees

Broccoli, Walnut & Kale Pesto
You can make pesto out of anything. OK, almost anything. And since broccoli and kale are nutrient powerhouses, why not combine them with the rich Omega-3s of walnuts and add it to some whole wheat pasta or spread it over chicken or fish? Click here for recipe.

Spicy Pasta Bake
Ok, so I’m in a pasta mood. It must be from all the carbs I was eating in Peru. Since I’m trying to steer clear of as much gluten as possible, I’ve found that the brown rice pastas at Trader Joe’s are an excellent alternative to the starchy goodness of semolina or whole wheat noodles. And they bake well, too. Click here for recipe.

Pasta Bake with Spinach and Mushrooms
It’s healthy and it’s got green stuff in it. Kids might have to be tricked into eating it, but I never said these recipes were for kids. Feel free to change out the cheeses to suit your taste. And since we’re all adults here, we need to learn how to make a béchamel sauce. It’s soooo easy, yet I’ve messed it up countless times. The key is PATIENCE. It doesn’t take long to make, but you can’t rush the thickening of the milk (it takes about 5 minutes). Just wait. It will thicken. I promise. Click here for recipe.

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
While I always kind of liked the idea of shepherd’s pie I never felt inclined to make it because the white, starchy, butter-laden mashed potatoes heaped on top clogged my arteries at the mere thought. But when I started cooking with sweet potatoes, using them in this dish seemed so logical. Click here for recipe.

Quinoa Bake
Quinoa (pronounced “keen-wah”) is not technically a grain but you can substitute it for nearly any grain in cooking. It’s actually a seed and its relatives include spinach, beets and Swiss chard. It’s rich in protein, iron, potassium and other vitamins and minerals and is a good source of fiber. Click here for recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment