Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Healthy Snacks

Yes, I’m a snacker. I wish I weren’t, but at least I snack well. I’ve created some healthy options that have protein and other nutritious components that might just give you a boost at that dreaded 3 o’clock hour and get you through the rest of the day. As I create more snacks to eat, I'll post them here.


Brown Rice Cake with Herbed Goat Cheese and Dried Cranberries
Ok, this might seem a little strange, but I promise you that it's good. I'd also substitute apricots, but the cranberries really are the perfect fit for this snack!

Ingredients
2 brown rice cakes
2 tablespoons herbed goat cheese
2 tablespoons dried cranberries

Here’s what you do:
Spread 1 tablespoon of goat cheese on each rice cake. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon on top of each cake. Yum!


Whole Wheat Toast with Almond Butter and Honey
The better the honey, the better the snack. I also use Ezekiel bread or some other sprouted bread instead of whole wheat.

Ingredients
1 slice whole wheat bread
1 tablespoon almond butter
honey (preferably local)

Here’s what you do:
Toast bread. Spread almond butter. Drizzle honey on top. Done.

Almond butter vs. peanut butter
Almond butter is a great alternative to peanut butter. While peanut butter has protein, it also has hydrogenated oils and sugar. Almond butter contains no added ingredients or preservatives; it’s simply made of almonds, crushed up and smoothed into a spread. Almond butter is a good source of protein; and it also helps to control blood sugar.

Almonds are the one of the only nuts categorized as alkaline. This means they have an electrical charge that is similar to our bodies. Alkaline foods increase your metabolism, give you lasting energy, and support your immune system.

No comments:

Post a Comment